To change the fonts or colors for desktop items on the Microsoft Windows XP operating system:
- Right-click an empty area on your desktop, and then click Properties.
- Click the Appearance tab.
- Click the Advanced button. (This step is missing from Microsoft KB.)
- In the Item box, click any of the following items:
Active Title Bar
Inactive Title Bar
- In the Font box, click the font that you want to use for the item.
- In the Size box, click the size that you want to use for the item.
- In the Color box, click the color that you want to use for the item.
NOTE: You cannot choose a color for the Icon and Palette Title items.
- To apply a bold font for an item, click that item in the Item box, and then click the B button. To italicize the font for an item, click the I button.
Tested and worked for me. (Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/140752)