The goal is to apply global custom views to Microsoft Outlook 2003.Â Microsoft has created a default view in Microsoft Outlook 2003 that is generally difficult to adjust.Â Many users have grown a distaste for the Auto Preview, Reading Panes, and the all Group-By Settings.Â In recent months, I have had to assist several clients, repeatedly with this issue and I have found a solution that I have used with great success.
Turn off AutoPreview, Reading Panes, and all Group-By settings
- Create a Shortcut to OUTLOOK.EXE on the Desktop.
- Edit the Shortcut properties and add the /cleanviews switch:
For example: “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE” /cleanviewsStart
- Select the Inbox folder
- Navigate the menus to View | Arrange By | Current Views | Define View
- Select Messages and click the Modify button.
- Click the Group By button and uncheck Automatically Group.
- Click OK.
- Click the Other Settings button and set Reading Pane to Off.
- Click OK, twice.
- Click on any other view listed in the dialog box OTHER THAN Messages and click Apply (ie. Last 7 days)
- Again, Navigate the menus to View | Arrange By | Current Views | Define View.
- Choose Messages and click Apply.