Having setup the Xbox 360 as a media extender to Microsoft Windows Vista Media Center (VMC), I quickly noticed that the dashboard was slightly different and did not have the DVD Library that I had manually setup and is described in an earlier article that I had written. This article is a continuation of my earlier article and describes the additional setup needed so that the Xbox 360 will show the DVD Library and have a functional DVD Library.
This is a two step process, which would not otherwise be possible without the hard work of enthusists and several programmers. As per the request of the orignal article, the software is only available at their site.
Enable the DVD Library for extenders. Download and copy the transcoder.dll to ..\Windows\eHome. Then apply the transcoder.reg to the registry. This DLL will look for *.wvx and *.asx files that contain the playlist and will enable the DVD Library on the XBox 360. At the time of this writing, the transcoder is version 0.7. The sourcecode is at the bottom of that page.
Setup Media Center Links. This automated utility will recreate the whole DVD folder structure locally, copy the folder.jpg files, create the links (VOB to MPEG) and then create the WVX playlist files.
This image is of the folder structure for example, D:\DVD\Star Wars.
The essential files are:
- folder.jpg (the larger the better, in this example it was 699x699) to display an image of the DVD cover on the screen.
- Star Wars 1977 WS.wvx file will be the name of the folder and is the Media Center playlist. Generated with the transcoder described above.
<ASX version = "3.0"> <Title>Star Wars 1977 WS</Title> <Entry> <Ref href="E:\DVD\Star Wars 1977 WS\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.mpeg"/> </Entry> <Entry> <Ref href="E:\DVD\Star Wars 1977 WS\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_2.mpeg"/> </Entry> <Entry> <Ref href="E:\DVD\Star Wars 1977 WS\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_3.mpeg"/> </Entry> <Entry> <Ref href="E:\DVD\Star Wars 1977 WS\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_4.mpeg"/> </Entry> </ASX>
- tananu.dvdid.xml - Generated by the DVD Library Manager.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <DISC> <NAME>Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope (1977 & 2004 Versions, 2-Disc Widescreen Edition)</NAME> <ID>20090107|18371100</ID> </DISC>
This image is of the folder, D:\DVD\Star Wars\VIDEO_TS.
The essential files are:
- Star Wars 1977 WS.wvx file will be the name of the folder and is the Media Center playlist. Generated with the transcoder described above. It is the same file as the one detailed above.
- tananu.dvdid.xml is the same as the one above.
- *.BUP and *.IFO files are the generated files from DVDFab HD Decrypter.
- *.mpeg files are generated by the Media Center links utility listed above.
Now, you should be able to see the DVD Library on the media extender, Xbox 360.